Ministry of Education
Tertiary Education Division
St. Augustine Education City
GATE TLI Admin
1. In consideration of the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (the Government) agreeing to finance the tuition fees of the Student for the abovementioned programme of study, the Student agrees to:
(i) submit to the discipline, supervision and control of the Institution;
(ii) apply himself/herself diligently to his/her studies throughout his/her entire programme with a view to obtaining the specified qualification and thus maintaining minimum performance standards;
(iii) authorize the relevant institution of study to release to the Ministry of Education – Tertiary Education Division (the Ministry) information relating to his/her progress during the tenure of the funding; and
(iv) comply with any professional standards applicable to his/her programme
2. The student agrees to apply for GATE funding for only one programme at a time,
3. The Student shall seek and obtain the approval of the Ministry in writing, in the event that the student:
(i) abandons his/her programme;
(ii) proceeds on a leave of absence from his/her programme of study.
4. The Student agrees in the event that he/she withdraws, is suspended or is granted an approved leave of absence from the programme or institution, that he/she will inform the Ministry in writing within one (1) week, in order to access further funding under the GATE Programme.
5. The Student shall inform the Ministry if he/she intends to terminate or suspend the programme of study at the Institution. All financial assistance by the Government will cease until such time as the Student will obtain the approval by the Ministry to continue the GATE funding from the Ministry.
6. The Student shall inform the Ministry forthwith on the successful completion of his/her programme and to accept employment within the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, in either the public or private sector, for the undermentioned prescribed period. The Student also agrees to inform the Ministry of the details of his/her employment and his/her period of service shall be related to the cost of the funding and shall be determined as indicated hereunder:
COST OF AWARD PERIOD OF OBLIGATORY SERVICE Up to $100,000.00 One (1) year Over $100,001.00 and up to $300,000.00 Two (2) years Over $300,001.00 and up to $400,000.00 Three (3) years Over $400,001.00 and up to $600,000.00 Four (4) years Over $600,001.00 Five (5) years
7. All monies expended on his/her programme shall be a loan from the Government to the Student and shall be repaid to the Government with interest, provided that if the Student serves the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago for the prescribed period as indicated or if the Student is released from the obligation to serve the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, the repayment of such loan shall be waived.
8. In the event of the Student :
a. abandons his/her course; or
b. fails to obtain the qualification where such failure is due to the Student not applying himself/herself diligently to his/her studies; or
c. fails to accept employment in the public or the private sector in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago after the conclusion or termination of the said programme for the specified period of time,
the Student binds himself/herself and agrees that he/she shall be liable immediately to refund to the Government the total amount of the loan made to him/her.
9. Any breach of this Agreement or withdrawal from the programme by failure on his/her part to attain the required performance standard as established in respect of the specified programme, will deny the Student further eligibility for funding by the Government unless approved by the Ministry.
10. If the Student serves the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago for only a part of the specified period he/she shall be required to refund the Government only such proportion of the total sum loaned together with interest due thereon as the unexpired period of service bears to the total period in Clause 6 above. Such sums shall be a debt by the Student and shall be recoverable by the Government.
11. The Terms of this Agreement constitutes the complete contract between the Government and the Student and no oral statement or promises will be recognized. This Agreement may not be amended or any of its provisions waived except in writing signed by the Parties to this Agreement. This Agreement is a legally binding instrument when signed by the Student and the signatures to the front indicate that the Student has read understood and agreed to the terms herein.
Ministry of Education – Tertiary Education Division
The International Waterfront Centre, Levels 16-18, Tower C, 1A Wrightson Road, Port of Spain
Tel: (868) 623-9922 Fax: (868) 625-5428 Email: email@example.com
for Division/Department contact info
for Agency contact info