Criteria for HELP Loans
The Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) is available to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago under 50 years of age who have been accepted and are enrolled in a tertiary level programme within CARICOM. The applicant must complete a HELP Application Form. The loan is available to part-time or full-time, employed or unemployed students.
Applicants who do not meet the age criterion may on review be given special consideration. The loan is available to part-time or full-time, employed or unemployed students.
- Applicants should be citizens of Trinidad and Tobago under 50 years of age. Applicants who do not meet the age criterion may be given special consideration.
- Applicants must be accepted and enrolled in a tertiary level programme in any of the public sector tertiary institutions or approved private tertiary institutions in Trinidad and Tobago or accredited tertiary institutions within CARICOM.
- Applicants must submit a certificate of good health issued by a competent authority.
- Applicants must provide three (3) referees acceptable to the financial agent and the Funding and Grants Administration Division. These referees must be resident nationals of Trinidad and Tobago, employed, of good character, and under 55 years old.
The objectives of the HELP programmme are:
- To provide financial assistance to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago pursuing tertiary education, thereby expanding equitable access to tertiary education
- To provide a low interest loan facility, approved and disbursed effectively and efficiently within a reasonable time frame to students in need
- To assist with increasing the national participatory rate in tertiary education to 60% by 2015
- To develop a well educated, qualified cadre of citizens within identified areas of national development.