Expansion of the GATE Programme
The Government Assistance for Tuition (GATE) Programme has been expanded to facilitate progressive matriculation to a Bachelor’s Degree and Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Programme Level four (4) and above.
With immediate effect, students enrolled in institutions and programmes accredited by the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT) will be funded as follows:
- for one (1) non-terminal programme and One (1) Bachelor’s Degree or
- for one (1) Diploma and One (1) Bachelor’s Degree or
- for one (1) Advanced Diploma and One (1) Bachelor’s Degree or
- for one (1) Associate Degree and One (1) Bachelor’s Degree or
- or one (1) Certificate Programme and One (1) Bachelor’s Degree;
As it relates to TVET, the GATE programme will now allow for:
- one TVET level three (3) programme or equivalent as Diploma and one TVET level four (4) programme equivalent as Advanced Diploma
- one TVET level four (4) programme equivalent as Advanced Diploma and one TVET level five (5) programme equivalent as a Bachelor’s Degree
- one TVET level three (3) programme equivalent as Diploma and one TVET level five (5) programme equivalent as a Bachelor’s Degree.
It should be noted that:
- Students should register for the Baccalaureate certification or TVET equivalent within two (2) years of completion of the initial course of study.
- The Baccalaureate course of study should be aligned to the areas identified on the Interim Development List, as well as areas associated with maintaining the cadre of professionals in the areas of Medicine, Engineering, Science and Technology, Agriculture, Law, Psychology, Social Work, the Creative Sector and Sports.
- Citizens under the age of 50, already in possession of qualifications which allow them to matriculate to a Baccalaureate program or its TVET equivalent, must register by September 2024 to be eligible for GATE funding