Students Transitioning Effectively from Primary to Secondary (S.T.E.P.S)
Transitioning from primary to secondary level is an important period on the lives of young people and there is a diverse range of issues which they face as well as opportunities they can optimise. There is general consensus in the literature that well-designed and implemented approaches can assist in the process of supporting students, their families and school staff in making these transitions positive experiences and to mediate some of the pressures that their students are facing when dealing with transitions.
The STEPS programme will be implemented at primary schools through face to face sessions. Schools will design their own programme using resources provided by the MoE and partnering stakeholders. This programme will provide students with exposure to digital learning and the development of 21st century skills.
- To sensitise students and parents on the considerable social, psychological, intellectual, cultural, emotional and spiritual changes and milestones that are heightened or associated with the next educational level
- To strengthen basic learnings across the whole curriculum and strengthen the foundation for the next academic level
- To provide an authentic and stress-free program of meaningful engagement, post-SEA
- To discuss the context, processes and policies associated with the secondary level so students and parents are oriented into the secondary system.
- To enhance students interaction with the Online learning environment as well as make them more competent using the technology.
- To encourage students to take ownership of their own learning which will be further enhanced by the introduction of online clubs and on demand online learning opportunities
Standard 5 students who wrote the SEA
May – June 2023 (6- weeks)
|Penal R.C School||Presentation||Fifth Company Anglican School||Presentation|
|Esperanza Presbyterian School||Presentation||Siparia Road Presbyterian School||Presentation|
|Las Lomas Government Primary School||Presentation||Vance River R.C. Primary School-|
|Jordan Hill Presbyterian School||St Augustine South Government|
|Cunupia Government Primary School|
|March 24th 2023||Principal sensitisation session|
|April 18th – 21st 2023||Standard 5 teacher sensitisation sessions|
|April 24th – 28th 2023||Schools plan their programme|
|Wednesday 26th April 2023||POSEED schools collect seedlings at district office from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm|
|Friday 28th April 2023||CED schools collect seedlings at district office from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm |
SGEED schools collect seedlings at St. Augustine South Gov’t Primary school from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm
|Monday 1st May 2023||NEED schools collect seedlings at district office from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm|
|Wednesday 3rd May 2023||SPED and VED schools collect seedlings at VED district office from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm|
|Friday 5th May 2023||SEED schools collect seedlings at district office from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm|
|Monday 1st May 2023 – Friday 9th June 2023||Schools implement the STEPS programme in their school|
|📢 📢 📢||Important Updates|
|Virtual Tech Camp||Please refer to the following link for all relevant information: https://sites.google.com/view/rscactivities/home|
|Events and support resources for the STEPS 2023 program from RSC (Restore A Sense Of I Can)||For teachers who wish to stay connected and receive support from the RSC team over the next few weeks, we have created a Discord Server. Please use the following link to join: https://discord.gg/KDm6bM8wr2|
If you do not have a Discord account, you will be prompted to create one.