VAPA Folk Fest – Dance
Folk arts are a bedrock of a nation’s heritage. The knowledge of and practice of the folk dances of Trinidad and Tobago need to be bolstered among our nation’s youth. A competition which gives participants a platform to showcase their work will assist in the preservation of our folk dances and encourage positive activities in our young people. This competition will be held in conjunction with The Secondary Schools Dance Educators Association of Trinidad and Tobago (SDEATT). All schools are eligible to participate.
- Launch of Competition: 31st March, 2023
- Please read the marking criteria.
- Each performance must have an introduction of 1-2 minutes duration.
- Must include a short creative informative introduction about the selected Folk Dance (1:00-2:00 minutes duration) delivered by a student. The introduction is to be presented for the Final Performance Day only
- Category 1 Solo or Duet – 2:00 – 3:00 minutes duration
- Category 2 Group 4 -10 dancers – 3:00- 5:00 minutes
- EACH SCHOOL IS ALLOWED TO ENTER A MAXIMUM OF TWO(2) CATEGORIES
- Date for submission of videos – 12th May 2023
- Full costuming is not required when submitting videos
- Schools selected for the finals must submit the names of all performers.
- A Talent Release Form must be completed by parent/guardian for each performer – Talent Release Form
- FINALISTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON 19th May 2023
- The finals will be held on 7th June 2023 VENUE- TBA
|SOLO or DUET||Duration: 2-3 minutes|
|GROUP||Duration: 3-5 minutes|
|Must include a short informative introduction about the selected|
Folk dance (1-2 minutes duration) delivered by a student.
Participants can select ONE of the following dances for their
Reel, Jig, Bele, Pique, Bongo, Nation Dance, Joropo, Jharoo, Kollatum, Limbo
- Scoring Rubric – Rubric Link
Talent Release Form – For upload for registration (download sign print and re-upload)
- Academic School Year 2022/2023 Term 2/3
- March 2023- 16 October 2023
- Secondary School Students
- Forms 1 – 3 students
- Students of Forms 1 – 3 in Community-based performing groups directly aligned or linked to schools